Our EVS in Bucharest

Tuesday 17 September 2013

Limba română

Coming here one of my main goals was to learn the Romanian language. Not that it would be extremely useful in my future life, but I am of the mind that every language is a virtue, besides, speaking the local language would make the life here so much easier.
Fast forward in time - 2,5 months have passed, my language is a lot better than in the beginning (it's not hard to better than the level 0.0), but the better shows more in understanding than speaking the language. It's interesting to see the development in simple everyday situations.

Our neighbourhood is filled with traders who sell literary everything on the streets: from toilet paper to bananas. My favourites are the singing-banana-sellers. In the beginning I didn't understand anything what they said, I didn't even understand that they were selling bananas. Honestly, in my mind they were just crazy-people.

On the next day I understood bananas. Shouldn't have been such a difficult word to distinguish, but the sound of the Romanian language was so unfamiliar to me that really, I didn't get anything.

A few days later I heard cinci lei, because, you know, it's everywhere. Beggars ask you for five lei and you just hear the phrase every day,

After getting accustomed to the numbers I already understood quite a lot of what the banana sellers said: Sase blablabla bananas cinci lei.

I was only missing one word from this puzzle and it didn't take much to get it: dulce!

 Sase dulce bananas cinci lei!  (Six sweet bananas five lei!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment